University of Wisconsin-River Falls grad, Julie Giese, has been working with JHE for the past nine years since joining Daytona International Speedway. The Wisconsin-native previously served as director of communications for Watkins Glen International and an account executive with Miller Meester Advertising.
The senior director of marketing at Daytona International Speedway, Julie is responsible for managing consumer marketing efforts and overseeing the Daytona brand. During event weekends, Julie and her team are responsible for opening ceremonies, Gatorade Victory Lane, social media and fan interaction, Sprint FANZONE programming, promotional execution and VIPs, among other things.
Q&A with Julie:
- The best career advice you ever received: If you work hard, you can accomplish whatever you want.
- Accomplishment you are most proud of: The 50th anniversary celebration that surrounded last year’s Rolex 24 weekend. From the kickoff party, to more than 50 past champions in attendance and almost 30 past champion race cars, it was an unbelievable experience. Coming in a close second is confirming the USAF Thunderbirds for the 2008 DAYTONA 500 flyover – and for multiple DAYTONA 500s since then.
- Biggest myth about your job: I still get asked what we do when we aren’t hosting races and if my position is seasonal. We are busy 365 days a year, which is one of the things I like best about my job. Each day is always something different.
- Best part of working with JHE: Peace of mind that the job is going to be flawlessly executed and that the JHE staff will always give it 200%.
- What has most impressed you about JHE: The dedication and commitment by all JHE employees I have had the opportunity to interact with. Everyone truly cares about what they are working on.
Five things people may not know about you:
- How I spend my Saturdays: When I’m not at the Speedway, I like to attend sporting events or spend time working in my yard.
- Runner-up career: Some sort of career in agriculture (I grew up on a small family dairy farm in Colby, Wisconsin).
- Favorite sport: Green Bay Packers football
- Favorite vacation yet: Any trip back to Wisconsin to see my family.
- Favorite quote: “Carpe Diem”