JHE has had the honor of producing and promoting Food Lion Speed Street presented by Coca-Cola since 1996. The three-day festival delivers an unprecedented consumer experience offering live entertainment, access to racing’s brightest stars and interactive displays from sponsors including Food Lion, Coca-Cola, Chevrolet and many more.
Though the event has been in existence for the past 19 years, here are five things you might not know:
1. More than 119 multi-talented, award-winning musicians, such as Keith Urban, 3 Doors Down, Pat Benatar, 38 Special, Luke Bryan, Halestorm and many more, have appeared at the event over the past 18 years. This year’s headliners include Jon B, SWV, Randy Houser, Jamey Johnson, Sister Hazel and Survivor on the Coca-Cola stage.
2. In 2012, the event generated 18 tons of recyclable materials including cardboard, bottles, grease, cans and paper. Hands on Charlotte, a volunteer, non-profit organization, provided the manpower to fuel the on-site recycling efforts for Food Lion Speed Street.
3. Coca-Cola is the event’s longest running sponsor with a significant on-site presence since the festival’s inception in 1995, including pouring rights every year and serving as a stage sponsor for the past 16 years. The global leader in soft drinks and beverages will grow its presence this year, becoming the first-ever presenting sponsor of the event.
4. Approximately 4,800 feet of fence, 1,400 feet of fence signage and five miles of cable are used at the festival each year.
5. The consumer festival hosted a local contest this year and rewarded a Charlotte-based country band, Landon Parker, and a Concord-based rock band, Blu Avenue, a spot on the Coca-Cola stage to open for notable headliners. Landon Parker will perform Friday, May 24 at 6 p.m. and Blu Avenue will perform Saturday, May 25 at 5:30 p.m.
Be sure to stop by uptown Charlotte May 23-25 to experience the fun, free festival.