Abiding by his favorite quote from Conan O’Brian, “Work hard, be kind and amazing things will happen,” Dan Mott does that in all facets of his life.
The senior coordinator for event services has been a loyal employee for almost six years, starting out as an IndyCar screen producer then video technician and editor. His hard work continued to bring new challenges including his current responsibilities of planning, managing and executing events. Focused primarily on NASCAR opening ceremonies, Mott creates the run of show with the client prior to the event, directs the show during the event and manages event budgets.
During his “down” time, the Warrenton, Virginia, native is an avid runner, completing two marathons and two half-marathons for a total of 1,521 miles in 2015.
The double major from Elon University also is proud of his “awesome nephew.”
Q&A with Dan
- What is the best career advice you ever received? “Do whatever makes you happy.”
- What is the most important lesson you’ve learned at JHE? There’s no such thing as a perfect event. Challenges and issues are always going to come up in a live event. It’s reacting quickly, calmly and thinking on your feet to create a good event. Also, always check signage.
- What is the accomplishment at JHE you are most proud of? I’m proud of a lot of our events. It’s pretty cool to look at an event we did five years ago and what that same event looks like now. It keeps getting bigger and better. But most recently, NASCAR After The Lap. The previous four years I managed and created the video content for the show, but this was the first year I helped work on the run of show from start to finish. I felt the end product that we came up with was fantastic.
- What is the biggest myth about your job? That while we travel we get lots of free time to do what we want. While we do get the opportunity to do a lot of really cool things outside of work, we spend a LOT of hours at the race track every weekend.
- What’s your secret to success? Never be satisfied. Always try to be a little bit better today than you were yesterday.
Things People May Not Know About Dan
- I start my day by ... Coffee. Please don’t talk to me until I’m on my second cup.
- My ultimate stress reliever is … Running. There’s nothing better than turning off technology and putting one foot in front of the other for a little bit. Helps give me the patience to deal with any situation.
- On my iPod playlist right now is a pretty wide variety. From Taylor Swift to Rick Ross to Foo Fighters. But mostly a lot of really terrible (or awesome) Top 40 songs. Guilty pleasure.
- My favorite vacation … Not really one vacation but a series of trips since graduating in ’07. My college roommate and I have been to 26 MLB stadiums. About 9 more to go since stadiums have opened and closed since we started. The trips have allowed us to see the country, visit friends, see playoff games, opening days, a no hitter, etc. A lot of really great memories. This year, we’ll be in Seattle for opening day.
Stay connected with Dan on Twitter @dmott3.