From a small town in Minnesota you won’t find on any map, Matt Tauer joined the JHE family in 2010 as a contractor and became a full time employee a year later; he currently serves as logistics coordinator. As a Sprint Experience driver for five years, Tauer is now a “drifter,” working on a variety of projects for the event production company.
Prior to joining JHE, Tauer worked as a shop assistant at Rensi Racing and a personal assistant at Regan Smith Racing. Growing up, he learned about hard work by working on a local farm. He studied mechanics at NASCAR Tech and is also a certified firefighter. In his free time, he enjoys volunteering at the Iredell County Humane Society.
Q&A with Matt:
- What is the best career advice you ever received? If you want something, you are the only person holding you back.
- What is the worst career advice you ever received? It’s OK to have a dream but you need to find a real (normal) job.
- What is the accomplishment at JHE you are most proud of? Making it five seasons on the Sprint Experience.
- What is your best memory at JHE so far? It has to be the Moto GP Race in Indy in 2010. It was something very different from NASCAR. Also, a screw up at the hotel got us all penthouse suites at the Embassy with a goody bag full of snacks and beer. A close second is all the people I’ve met; I consider everyone a true friend.
- What is the biggest myth about your job? The most common thing I hear on the CB while driving is how cool it must be to drive for NASCAR because all I do is drive to the track and watch the race. Oh and meet Dale Jr. … yeah, we are real tight …
- What is your secret to success? I keep focused on my personal goals and shut out people who do not support me.
- What has been your best mistake? Agreeing to be a contractor for that SPEED TV show.
- What is the best part of working at JHE? Hands down, it’s the people I get to work with and others within the NASCAR world. Also, all the places I’ve visited. I now know why they call the USA the United States of Awesome! ‘Merica!
- What is your personal definition of success? If you’ve accomplished everything you set out to do and in your heart you know you put your best effort into it. If you feel good about yourself and what you’ve done, then you know you’ve made it.
Things You Might Not Know About Matt:
- My runner-up career was … a tie between either a firefighter or fighter pilot. I wanted to fly A-10 warthogs and eventually become an astronaut.
- My biggest pet peeve is … people who walk at an angle across the street.
- My favorite sport is … I enjoy playing almost any sport. I also love to watch hockey; not sure why, guess it’s the Minnesotan in me.
- My favorite way to spend time … is with my dog who never leaves my side; we are pretty tight.
- I relax by … listening to music, watching movies, swimming or going for walks.
- My favorite vacation yet was a … family trip to Florida. We did Disney, Kennedy Space Center and Alligator Alley.
- My favorite movie is … “Forrest Gump,” although it’s tough to pick only one favorite movie.
- My favorite quote is … "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
- No one knows that I can … turn myself into a human pretzel (double jointed almost everywhere).
- Anything else people should know about you? I was born because the town I grew up in was getting shorthanded on volunteer firefighters so they had to make their own. Just kidding but I really have been a firefighter for 28 years and have brought a person back to life using CPR. Keep up with Matt on the road on Twitter @tauerpower777.